Logistics Network Planning and Strategic Design
Logistics Network planning and design involves building transport, inventory and location strategies around your customer service goals, ensuring the total package achieves the best service at the lowest cost. Companies often devote considerable time & expense in 'optimising' only one element of the network, failing to notice the negative cost effects this may have elsewhere.
The crucial element in any Logistics Network Design Strategy is building all the constraints and variables into a single dynamic business model. The team at Gideon Hillman Consulting are highly experienced at developing these types of models and have the skills to not only build the data model quickly, but to then produce an optimised solution using various programming techniques, and of course, experience, expertise and some common sense.
We regularly undertake Logistics Network Design and optimisation projects with our clients, either as a total review or in specific modules including:
- Cost based Centre of Gravity analysis for single DC and/or multiple RDC locations
- Logistics Network Scenario Modelling
- Optimised distribution network design and appropriate cost modelling
- Transport route scheduling
- Facility to customer alignment
- Facility sizing for whole Logistics Network and individual Distribution Centre capacity assessments
- Vehicle fleet profiling and resource requirements aligned with DC and customer requirements
- Optimised facility design/ layout, handling practices and workflows.
- Optimised target inventories (holding cost vs. ordering cost vs. service).
- Tactical stock location(s) and picking strategies.
Gideon Hillman Consulting carried out a comprehensive review of our Logistics operations, including consultation with all stakeholders to establish their individual needs within a multi-faceted Supply Chain. The result is a thorough and implementable Logistics, Warehousing and Distribution strategy with sound methodology and reasoning behind it, enabling flexibility within a frequently changing operational environment."
Head of Logistics – Balfour Beatty Utility Solutions
'We selected Gideon Hillman Consulting because of its expertise in Logistics network modelling. The detailed operational review and strategic modelling project that GH has completed not only provides DX with real and accurate information upon which to base its future trunking strategy for the distribution network, but most importantly it identifies significant improvement opportunities which can be implemented in the short term'
Chief Compliance Officer - DX Group
To discuss our Logistics
Call us on
+44(0) 1926 430 883